12/5/2014 – As the weather gets colder and colder I am on a constant quest for warmer and warmer foods. I LOVE soup. I seriously could eat soup for every meal. But, if I were to do that I would need to have a plethora of different recipes. Enter exhibit A, Black Bean Soup.
Black beans are high in protein so they are naturally a good choice for soup; one cup has up to 15 grams! Black beans are also a good choice if you are trying to stay on the low side of the glycemic index. Lastly, but certainly not least black beans boast around 180 miligrams of omega 3 fatty acids per cup.
Seriously… WHY aren’t you EATING more BLACK BEANS??
Lean Mean Black Bean Soup
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 1 hr. 33 min.
Yield: 6 servings, about 1½ cups each
1 cup dry black beans, sorted, washed
5 cups water, divided use
3 cups low-sodium organic vegetable (or chicken) broth
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium jalapeño, seeded and deveined, chopped
1 tsp. ground red pepper (optional)
½ tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
Hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco) (to taste; optional)
1. Place beans and 3 cups water in a large saucepan. Soak for six hours to overnight. Drain and rinse beans.
2. Place beans, remaining 2 cups water, broth, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, jalapeno, red pepper, chili powder, coriander, and cumin in saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 60 to 80 minutes, or until beans are tender.
3. Add salt and pepper if desired; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until beans are very tender.
4. Place half of bean mixture in blender, in two or more batches, if necessary; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth. (Or, you could use a stick blender.)
5. Return blended soup to saucepan; cook, on medium-high heat, for 2 to 3 minutes or until hot.
6. Serve with a splash of hot sauce or other toppings if desired.